Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Scam Alert: The Superior Court of Santa Cruz has been notified that an individual posing as a deputy/court security is calling court customers stating that they owe money for failing to appear. If you receive a call of this nature, please contact the court directly at 831-420-2200 to receive accurate information.

Financial Hardship and Ability to Pay Your Fine

If you cannot pay the full amount of a fine for an infraction offense (including most traffic tickets), you may ask the Court to reduce the amount you owe based on your ability to pay. You must show proof that you do not have the financial means to pay your fine. You may also ask the Court if you can perform community service, establish a payment plan, or extend the time you need to comply with a court order. You may ask the Court to consider your ability to pay at any point in the process, but you must enter a plea of guilty or no contest before the Court can give you an answer.

The easiest way to request a fine reduction is to use the Court’s new online request tool (recommended)

Request a Fine Reduction

If you cannot use the online tool, you may use the forms below to provide information that should be considered in connection with your request.

 Installment payments will be as low as $25 per month if you make your request using the online tool (above). Otherwise, installment payments would be in the amount of at least $40 per month. Please contact the clerk’s office at 831-420-2200 or by sending an email to if you have questions.

Showing Good Cause for Outstanding Debt

Individuals with cases in Collections for failing to appear with good cause reasons (incarceration, hospitalization, active-duty military, incapacitation, etc.) may ask the Court to restore their case to a non-collections status by completing the following forms:

Forms need to be filed with the Criminal and Traffic Clerk’s Office at 701 Ocean Street, Room 120 in Santa Cruz either in person or by mail.

If your case is currently in collections and you cannot afford to pay your debt, you may use the link to for the online tool listed in the previous section. You cannot use the online tool for misdemeanor cases and must submit the above forms to the Clerk’s office.